Fontana

I saw Fontana's art work today on the way home from work at subway station.




























Fontana Lucio Fontana is an Argentine painter and sculptor.
He is known artist as the so-called Spatial Concept or slash series, consisting in holes or slashes on the surface of monochrome paintings, drawing a sign of what he named "an art for the Space Age".

I saw his art for the first time when I visited MoMA in NYC.
It was really interested. Because for the first time when I saw, I thought that I could slash as a same way.
And then, I realized there was meaning that by slashing the center of his canvases, Fontana allowed three-dimensional space to intrude into an otherwise two-dimensional surface.
I was impressed because there was deeply meaning.
I realized I wasn't able to slash it as a same way.

Anyway, it was absolutely not Fontana's art work at the subway station I saw.
It was someone's doodle.
I'm not sure he/she knows Fontana's 'spatial concept', but I can enjoy its art.

And I really want to go to MoMA in NY!!

BTW this is authentic art work by Fontana.
It is pretty much the same, isn't it?

Comments

Popular Posts