Father

The Bon festival takes place every year from August 13th to 16th.
This Buddhist festival is held to welcome back the souls of the dead.
These souls are believed to return to their families during the festival.
It is also an occasion for people to visit their relatives' graves to pray and make offerings of food and flowers.

I visited my family grave.
My father has been dead for 15 years.
At that time I was university student, I lived in just small world.
When we realized he had cancer that had never recovered, we didn't know what to do, what to say, what to think about it.
He had just pass away three months later he was diagnosed with cancer.

Now 15 years after his death, I know a lot of things than at that time.
And during 15 years, things are ever changing in the world.
I can't imagine he doesn't know cellphone, digital camera, iPod, and how high-tech world has come.
But I also think there has nothing to have changed relationship between my father and me.
I just remember his lovely hand and under the warm sun. He told me 'you are good girl'

I have tried to become a good girl for 15 years.
I talked a lot with my father at grave.
But I knew his mind wasn't there.
I always think he is in my mind.
He lives in my heart forever.
If it is possible, I want to ask him once, 'Did I become a good girl?'

Comments

Unknown said…
I understand well what you mean. I lost a mother 3 years ago. In a similar way like you lost a father. She died just a few months after diagnose was made. It was a shock.
aya said…
Sasa-san, thank you for your kind comment. and I'm sorry for your loss.

Popular Posts