Encounter Kimono

I thought about how did I get into Kimono.
Of course, I am Japanese, so I had worn it if I had an opportunity.
But I not only couldn’t put it on by myself but also I didn’t interest in Kimono.
I just felt pain and patience when I put on Kimono.

On the other hand, I interest in art and antiques.
I like to collect glass, ceramic and painting.
Especially I really like the period between 1920 and 1930s.
During the period, they are called “Art-Deco”.
Art Deco is essentially a style of decoration that everything is symmetrically performed by a straight line set.
It influenced architecture, furniture, and fashion worldwide.
It started in Paris, and has caught on worldwide.
For example, we can see those styles at Chrysler Building or Empire State Building in New York.

One day I found many Kimono of Art Deco style when I went to antiques fair in Osu temple.
It was the same as the style of Art Deco that I felt exactly.
I was surprised because I didn’t know Art Deco influenced traditional Kimono in Japan.
And then I felt fabulously interested in Kimono of Art Deco style.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I see that you like collecting antiques. How I wish I could see all your antique collections, Aya! I also like antiques.
On the other hand, how did you learn on putting kimono properly? I'm amazed because aside from teaching how to wear kimono you're also teaching its origin. I salute you for this...

Popular Posts